"storing" username/sid/group id after authentication

mogambo mogambo13 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:23:19 MST 2010

I am trying to come up with a solution to the current Samba
authentication voes on the gateway server for our distributed file
system.  The gateway server provides CIFS and other services backed by
a proprietary vfs plugin filesystem driver.  We currently use
smbpasswd file, where each user needs to be explicitly added with
their passwords.

Ideally, I would like to delegate the authentication to the remote
metadata server.  It already talks to the ADS via ntlm_auth in
ntlm-server-1 mode and passes in the username/password when accessing
from a regular client.  As a side question, if I can get the encrypted
password to the metadata server, is there a way to use ntlm_auth to
play challenge/response game for authentication?  It seemed possible
from a few posts on the list, but I was unable to find documentation
other than the manpage.

If the above is not possible, I am wondering if I can use mode = ADS/server
on the gateway server and add the user id or security token of the validated
user to the default mount point which is same across all users.  The
interface between the filesystem driver and the metadata server is still
being worked upon.  I want to identify the information and how to extract it
from Samba server.

I do not have any prior experience with Samba, so I may not be asking the
right questions, or giving enough information. Thank you very much for your
help.

-s.