Samba 3.5 configure/shared lib question.

Bjoern Jacke bj at sernet.de
Tue Mar 2 02:43:55 MST 2010

On 2010-03-01 at 16:55 -0500 William Jojo sent off:
> I don't have a specific fix yet, but could someone enlighten me on
> what the intentions were for this? Is it really essential that all
> symbols resolve in the shared libs? My understanding is that when
> the executables are built, the default is to fail if a symbol cannot
> be found in the list of libs (including shared) provided to the
> linker.

unresolved symbols in a shared library often mean that something went wrong,
it simply shouldn't have them. You will only see the brokeness later on at
runtime.

I saw those AIX linker errors, too. As the linker accepts any arguments and
only warns about it it's hard to figure out which options are supported in
configure. The only way I could see to find out if the AIX linker supports
certain options is to parse stderr. I have a fix for that but I don't like it
too much doing that way, that's why I didn't change that so far. I'll try
to find a better way or if you know a better way than parsing stderr to find
out which options are supported I'd be happy, too!

Cheers
Bjoern
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9