[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Mar 1 15:28:37 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 23:15 +0100, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Simo,
>
> metze pushed a bit an older version of this srvsvc "counters" patch
> which contained this error (I imagine it was the version from tridge's
> repo). I realised my fault after tridge fetched the branch and replaced
> the commit with a reworked version but only in my repo. Unfortunately
> not my latest version of this commit was taken for the push and so I had
> to create this "corrective" commit.
>
> The changes are big (I agree) and I tried hard to get the types right.
> Unfortunately sometimes something can be missed. But exactly for this
> reason I ask for careful reviews. I rechecked the other commits in my
> "counters" and "counters2" branched and they should be okay at the
> moment. I would also like to thank abartlet, metze and tridge for
> reviewing and pushing some of them - I hope they continue to work also
> on the restant ones.
>
> Regarding LDB: The structures were designed to deal with unsigned
> counters (consider num_attributes, num_values, num_entries and so on).
> For sure there was some reason to do so and not to choose the signed
> integers.
> Okay, then why did people decide to use "signed" integer counters for
> enumerating those objects? Was it due to ignorance?
> The patches might not have a real practical value but more a formal
> theoretical one.

Yes this is why you get skeptical answers to these patches. They look
trivial so why not ? The problem is that reviewing a patch list this is
costly, and the gain is very little, while the risk of breaking
something is not zero.

I am not saying you shouldn't push them, just explaining why people are
wary of accepting patches of this kind when the motivation is not fixing
a clear bug.

If you think you have carefully checked them and make test doesn't
break, feel free to push them.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce