Linux CIFS NTLMSSP mount failing against win2k8

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:00:32 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:25:10 +1000
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

>> > Jeff,
>> >
>> > You can see if this code change,
>> >   cifs_MD5_update(&context, (char *)&key->data, 16);
>> > insetead of
>> >  cifs_MD5_update(&context, (char *)&key->data, key->len);
>> > in function cifs_calculate_signature() works.
>>
>> If I had some context, I would be able to advise if this is correct.  If
>> this is the application of the 'session key' to the SMB singing (the MD5
>> with the actual packet), then this is important, but only for Kerberos,
>> not NTLMSSP, which for all versions returns a 16 byte key.
>>

> (dropping old linux-cifs-client list and adding new one to cc list)
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't had time to spend on this in a while so I
> haven't really given it the time it deserves.  My gut feeling is that
> there are enough questionable portions of this code in CIFS that it
> really needs an overhaul from "first principles" -- starting by making
> the encryption algorithms use the standard kernel crypto libs and a
> review of what NTLMSSP flags are being set in the negotation. Some of
> that may just be my lack of familiarity with the code, but a lot of the
> unicode conversion in smbencrypt.c looks questionable.

I would like to make some simplifying assumptions, e.g.
the number of NTLMSSP flags we use.  For SMB2 it
is easier because we can limit support to only
two auth mechanisms: krb5 in spnego and ntlmv2 in ntlmssp -
and only one signing mechanism (the new SHA256 one),
but for cifs we have old servers that won't support those.

The originals for a few key pieces of the old came from Samba,
so it probably had some of the same problems with Unicode
that you noted.  Converting the RC4-MD5-HMAC to kernel crypto libs is harder
than it seems.  Shirish had some trouble with the kernel crypto (as did I a
few years ago when I tried it - the code got uglier/bigger using those
interfaces).

The documentation for this is harder than it seems to wade through
(due to lack of examples).

--
Thanks,

Steve