Tweaking "Search Count" in FIND_FIRST2?

M. Strecke MStrecke at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 20 07:54:06 MDT 2010

Hello,

I have a problem communicating with a Synology NAS device.

When accessing a directory containing 7000+ files, a Linux box returns the file list within 20 seconds, but a Mac using OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) takes 15+ minutes(!).

After a few days of research, I used WireShark to get a packet capture from both the Mac and the Linux connection.

The main difference seems to be that the Linux box uses a FIND_FIRST2/FIND_NEXT2 with a "Search Count" of 1366 to retrieve the (huge) file list, followed by
QUERY_PATH_INFO for each file.

The Mac uses the same functions but has only a "Search Count" of 6. After that it retrieves the QUERY_PATH_INFO for these 6 files, it proceeds with FIND_NEXT2 for the next 6 files and so on.

This is obviously a huge overhead, which could explain the 15+ minutes.

The Mac uses the smb_fs. The Samba version on the Mac is "3.0.25b apple".
My question is: is there a way to tweak the "Search Count" setting?

Thanks for any hints.

Mike