Forcing Samba to recognize 15 char password

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Jun 18 03:46:41 MDT 2010

On Monday 14 June 2010 13:25:30 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> The problem is, Solaris will only return the first 8 characters of
> getpass().  We have no test to detect this behaviour, but we do have a
> configure test that determines if we have been able to compile a
> replacement for it.

Hi Andrew,

I think we should remove getpass() completely or replace it with a samba
version which works on all systems and works correctly. If you look at the
manpage of getpass it is marked as obsolete.

SYNOPSIS
       #include <unistd.h>

       char *getpass( const char *prompt);

DESCRIPTION
       This function is obsolete.  Do not use it.

Regards,

	-- andreas