SamDB.enable_account does not work against Windows

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 10 16:39:42 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 21:11 +0300, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Sure, do ask Andrew what he thinks about it. But the thing is, one does not
> run tests against a machine in use for something else - you use a "virgin"
> virtual machine for that purpose exactly to avoid messing stuff up.

Some of us do that, while others have VMs that get re-used until they
break.  At the moment I tend to re-use my windows domains.

> Besides,
> you do not need to change the other flags - just read dsHeuristcs, raise the
> flag we need in the value and set it. When the tests suite is through you
> can unset it the same way if you like, although this particular flag does
> only this one thing. It is up to you of course, its your work, but in my
> opinion tests that do not pass against Windows without manual tinkering do
> not prove that Samba is working correctly, which is their main goal...

I think is is important that we read the dsHeuristics before we proceed
with these elements of the tests.  Otherwise, we get false errors such
as the ones you have encountered.

I think it's also quite reasonable to change it, as long as we change it
back, and the user has specified a command line flag to enable such a
global change.  Indeed, we should use the ability to change it so that
we verify that Samba accepts and does not accept userPassword changes in
the same way as Windows.

I strongly agree that if a test suite cannot run against a Windows, it
isn't nearly the strength of a test suite that we need for proving
interoperability.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.