upgradeprovision wip

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 9 01:06:17 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 01:46 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Hello andrew,
>
> With a lot patience I started to cut different patches and merge some
> others (ie. when a bit patch introduced code that were reformated after
> I tried to extract the diff related to the code reformat and merge with
> the big patch).
>
> The result is here:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/Samba/ekacnet.git/shortlog/refs/heads/upgradeprovision-wip
>
> I didn't push too hard for the moment on \ cleanning and "foo"%(bar,
> baz) also.

Thankyou for taking the effort the tidy this up.  I know how painful it
can be to try and rework such a large patch stream.

As you know, the remaining issues I have are the style things we
discussed - that:
 - when you must terminate a line with \, do it like
 import bar \
        foo
not
 import bar\
  foo

Also, when involving strings, follow closely the style used in
provision.py, where the \ is outside the quotes, and you also know that
we need to get the spaces around the % and , operators correct.

Finally,

If it really is too difficult to fix all these issues in the patch
stream, I don't mind if they are fixed 'at the end'.  It's far from
ideal, and it is frankly harder to review, but in a month's time, nobody
is going to look at the individual patches, but they will look at and
use the end product.  (And as you have pointed out, bad style tends to
stick around, so we do need to have a tidy end result).

I really to appreciate the effort you have put into this important area.
There would be no ability to upgrade between Samba4 versions without
your careful efforts in this area, and I look forward to incorporating
your patches.

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.