A proposal for how to set msDS-KeyVersionNumber

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Jun 8 09:36:32 MDT 2010

Hi metze
> Am 07.06.2010 13:13, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
>
>> Attached is a proposal for how to set msDS-KeyVersionNumber
>>
>> The idea is that if the knvo is incorrect in an upgraded DB, which may
>> cause trouble for unix clients joined to a Samba domain (but not Samba3,
>> or windows), that we want to manually set the knvo.
>>
>> If this is too intrusive, then I suggest we just omit 'fixing' this, as
>> only a very small subset of our clients actually care about this value.
>>
>> (I've have no complaints since I changed how we calculate this value 3
>> months ago).
>>
>> (untested, intended to be used with a future upgradeprovision)
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
> I think we shouldn't put such logic into the modules,
> the upgrade logic should be in the upgradeprovision script,
>
> which should just rebuild the replPropertyMetaData attribute completely,
> and use a control to set it from above the repl_meta_data module.

I'm not sure I understand the "which should just ..."
Because in my trails I've been able to wind the version field by
changing the password of a given user but as I explained already in
another email I am facing a problem when the delta between the version
field and the old stored msds-keyversionnumber is 1. Also some find the
idea to polute the password history not too great.

Can you detail how you envision the things with 1 or 2 example of synopsis ?
Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org