Samba4 Patch: newuseradv and newgroupadv scripts for net cmd utlity

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Jun 8 05:14:53 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 10:43 +0100, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:
> On 06/08/2010 08:11 AM, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> > Hi Lukasz,
> >
> > until now the policy was that "net group *"/"net user *" commands work
> > over s4's "libnet". This doesn't seem to be the case here. Isn't this
> > possible to fix - or is the binding missing?
>
> Hi Matthias,
> I wasn't aware of that policy ;) From the previous email conversation
> with Andrew, regarding moving newuser back to user set of subcommands,
> (and reinstating net rpc|ads|ldb hierarchy, to which andrew was
> against), i was under the impression that the underlying technology - it
> either being ldb or libnet should be hidden from the user and the best
> suited one should be chosen depending on the scenario
>
> I'm still not sure what the criteria should be for choosing libnet over
> ldb (and vice versa)
I don't think we have such a policy (at least not formalized anywhere),
there are several commands that access the SamDB directly without using
DCE/RPC.

It would of course be nice to have this functionality available over
DCE/RPC as well so that we can run net against remote Windows machines,
but that isn't necessary for this patch.

Cheers,

Jelmer