s3compat progress

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 3 07:21:40 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 23:58 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've made a lot of progress on s3compat in the past few weeks, and I
> wanted to mention it on the list again.
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/s3compat
>
> The biggest change is that building on the named pipe proxy work done
> for Franky, I've plugged these pipes across from Samba3 to Samba4:
> "samr", "lsarpc", "netlogon", "drsuapi", "dssetup", "epmapper", "echo"
>
> I've tested this with the RPC-LSA test, and will test domain joins etc
> soon.

I've tested a Windows Vista domain join (selected because it's an RPC
based join), and it all works perfectly.

The only issue that remains is that because the source3/smbd code is
tied to getting all users from getpwnam() (to confirm they are local
unix users), I need to make winbindd produce NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS

I have a number of patches outstanding, some of which I'm working with
folks to merge, and others that I'll propose soon.  Those I'm currently
looking to have merged are in my s3compat-for-review branch.

Once we get those in, I would like to discuss how and when to merge the
remaining bulk of the s3compat branch.  As I've now proved that s3compat
can achieve it's aims, I would like to get most of the s3compat patches
into the master tree in the next little while.

There remains much to do - in particular the conflicting lp and DEBUG
systems, but there is also a lot in common, and I've been very glad to
build on that.  I hope that the s3compat effort can be another
foundation, like the Franky and merged build efforts before, to a single
Samba infrastructure.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.