Win7 blue screen when accessing previous version of a share

Uri Simchoni uri_simchoni at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 08:36:52 MDT 2010

Hi,

I posted yesterday to the samba list, but since then I also tested it on the latest samba release, so I'm reporting it again on this list.

I have Samba 3.5.3 set up with shadow_copy2 module, and a specific data set (one dir and 2 files) in the shadow location. Using a Win7 client, I right-click on the share, click "Restore Previous Versions", and select the shadow copy. When I enter the directory in the shadow, Win7 crashes (blue screen). Happens consistently with any Win7 client.

The blue screen message indicates "RDR_FILE_SYSTEM" so it's probably in the CIFS client.

I checked against a Win2K3 server, and astonishingly enough, Windows doesn't show the previous version of the folder - it show the current version (works OK with Vista), so I can't tell what would have happened with a Win2K3 server.

This is probably a Win7 problem but I have no idea how to report it to MS or otherwise advance this matter.