joining a a DC via vampire fails

Jean i_cute33 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 08:05:32 MDT 2010

Dear developers,

first of all big thanks for such a fantastic endeavour. So far I've only been able to build a DC in ubuntu with Samba4.  Even though it took me like 11 days to get there, and figure out all the things that I needed fixed correctly, once it started it was working great for me. Of course not all the features of AD yet, but I will be more happy to have it run already like it is.

My problem is when I try to join an AD DC in windows 2003, is it because of the Exchange 2007 objects in it? I can't really put a finger on where things go wrong. Here is a paste of what I did in the terminal:

root at babi:/home/babigeneric/samba-master/source4# bin/net vampire passionite.com -Uadministrator --realm=passionite.com
Password for [PASSIONITE.COM\administrator]:
CLDAP response: forest=passionite.com dns=passionite.com netbios=RSS01 server_site=Default-First-Site-Name  client_site=Default-First-Site-Name
Become DC [BABI] of Domain[RSS01]/[passionite.com]
Promotion Partner is Server[maat.passionite.com] from Site[Default-First-Site-Name]
 schema object_version[31]
 domain behavior_version[2]
 domain w2k3_update_revision[8]
DsAddEntry (R3) failed: Errors: dir_err = 6, status = WERR_BADFID;
 Update Error: extended_err = WERR_DS_OBJ_STRING_NAME_EXISTS, problem = 0x00001775
libnet_BecomeDC() failed - NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 99, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/vampire.py", line 51, in run
    (domain_name, domain_sid) = net.vampire(domain=domain, target_dir=target_dir)
RuntimeError: NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE

Can someone help me with this please or point me to a good source for getting help. Thank you in advance, and thumbs up on the continuous development of Samba4.

Ivan