samba users can't be seen from client mashine

murat can tuna muratcantuna at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 11:29:15 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have an ubuntu server 9.10 and a fedora. I have configured smb.confs such that fedora or any other computer is gonna reach /home of ubuntu server. But the problem is i can not see samba users that i have created on ubuntu I mean fedora can not find or reach or resolve samba users that I have created on ubuntu.
I have mounted /home directory of ubuntu from fedora without any problem I can ping ubuntu or vice versa even this command works "smbclient -L <ipofubuntu> -Umuratcantuna" . Here is my two smb.conf files, do you have any idea what is the reason?

fedora:
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[Profiles]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

[global]
        realm = MY_REALM
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = 134.91.151.33
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        local master = No
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /mnt/home3
        read only = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes

[Profiles]
        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

ubuntu:
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

[global]
        server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
        map to guest = Bad User
        passwd program = /usr/bin/smbpasswd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos "" %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
        logon path = \\%N\%U##  logon path = /home/%u
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\134.91.151.33\homes
        domain logons = Yes
        dns proxy = No