samba4 net join with pre-existing account

kiran kumar cnvkiran at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 09:00:24 MDT 2010

I tried using "net ads join" but it still prompts for password. Below
listed are the parameters in smb.conf file for your reference.
Somewhere I read about using "net rpc oldjoin", I'm not sure if this
is relevant with current versions of samba. But this fails saying
"Failed to join domain".

workgroup=WORKGROUP (same as domain name)
realm = DOMAIN( domain name)
security = ads
password server = 10.130.18.5

./net ads join -s /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf1 -U administrator
Enter administrator's password:

Thanks for the responses,
Kiran