Able to join macbook to Samba4, but not Windows XP

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Jul 11 00:22:23 MDT 2010

  On 11/07/2010 09:22, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 14:29 -0500, Arthur Ramsey wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was able to join my macbook to Samba4 AD using the Directory Utility and
>> can successfully authenticate as an AD user, but I can¹t join my Windows XP
>> Pro box to the domain.  I have attached a wireshark pcap dump of the attempt
>> to join using filter ³not tcp port 3389 and not arp and not udp port 123 and
>> not broadcast and not multicast².  From what I could tell I see a successful
>> SRV lookup and a at least partially successful LDAP lookup.  Any assistance
>> would be much appreciated I will try to stay in the #samba-technical channel
>> with handle Œaramsey¹ for the rest of the day if you wish to contact me in
>> real-time.
> I'll note firstly that your network capture is not complete - it clearly
> includes only part of the SMB session that has the SMB echo for example,
> so other things may also be missing.
>
> As to where to go from here, I suggest you read back over the HOWTO at
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
>
> Andrew Bartlett
I was fixed during the night.
The c:\windows\debug\netsetup.log was a lot not like a good one.
Also the length of the hostname in CLDAP was a bit suspicious, it turns
out that when he reprovisionned with a shorter hostname without dash (ie
myad1 instead of aramsey-ubuntu) he was able to join.

Arthur: when you ask for support and when it is always a good idea to
say that it has been solved ...

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou