Can we stop posting as [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 8 06:13:15 MDT 2010

For a while now, it has annoyed me a little to try and guess what a
thread on the mailing list is, when it has such a generic subject.  Part
of this has happend in the move from SVN, as GIT no longer has a
directory name in the subject of the notification e-mails.

In my attempts to set a good example on this, when I've posted a
follow-up to someone commit message, I've tried in general to select the
relevant patch name and use it as the subject.

I'm wondering if I can encourage this as something that we should all
adopt?  At the moment, we hide almost everything comment on every single
commit under the same commit message.  It's not possible to tell from
the subject if this comment is relevant to one's daily work.

So, for example, a comment about Jermey's recent commit 's3: Add SMB2
performance counters' would be retitled as Subject: s3: Add SMB2
performance counters rather than [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch
master updated

(I would hate to go this far, but perhaps if it too easy to forget, we
could have mailman ban replies with this generic subject.)

What do people think?

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.