s4 anonymous LDAP binds

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Jul 5 16:08:47 MDT 2010

Hi Nadya
On 7/5/2010 9:22 PM, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Hello,
> It kind of depends on what you mean :). Do you mean not unauthenticated
> binds at all, or restrict access of Anonymous to the RootDSE?
I meant the latter (seems like the former could violate RFC 2251
according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837964/)
> The link you have provided is for LDS which I don't think we provide at the
> moment. in MS-ADTS for DS, this is written:
> If the fLDAPBlockAnonOps dsHeuristic (section 7.1.1.2.4.1.2) is true,
> anonymous (unauthenticated) users are limited to performing rootDSE searches
> and binds. If fLDAPBlockAnonOps is false, anonymous users can perform any
> LDAP operation, subject to access checks that use the ACL mechanisms
> described in this section.
Am I right thinking that the LDS link (that i mentioned previously) and
MS-ADTS info above refer to the same attribute at the same location
(i.e. Directory Service container)?

> I am indeed currently working on the above mentioned ACL mechanisms, which
> will restrict Anonymous access to some extent. At present, however, Samba 4
> does not much care for dsHeuristicts, we just don't take it into account in
> many cases, I suppose it's time to start. As for completely disallowing any
> kind of anonymous bind  - I really dont know when and how it happens...
That is great news :)

Regards

Luk