Reverted auth patches

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jul 4 16:17:48 MDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 13:05 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 00:24 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > A while ago these three patches to source3/auth were reverted because
> > they hadn't been reviewed.
> >
> > I think these patches are reasonable so I'm happy to sign off on them.
> > I'm keen to see them land as they bring us one step closer towards
> > being
> > able to use the Samba 3 Winbind in Samba 4.
> >
> > Since there was so much heated discussion around these patches I
> > wanted
> > to run it by the mailing list first. If you object to these patches,
> > please speak up.
>
> In previous patches I already found errors (through valgrind).
>
> Please before pushing anything make sure the code is actually tested in
> a pure s3 setup, not just in an s3-compat one.

Perhaps I should be clear, as their seems to be some distrust in this
matter:  Each and every patch that I have proposed in this series has
passed the source3/ 'make selftest' to the same extent as the master
tree at the time.

Indeed, it is my practice to always run 'make test'/'make selftest' in
the relevant branch before I push any change.  I look forward to the
further automation of this process, but I will continue to gladly handle
this manually until we get the build box.

Additionally, my memory is that I also conducted manual and valgrind
tests over the code after concerns were raised, to assure myself that
there wasn't some hidden flaw in these changes.

That does not preclude issues, such as the one you found, but to suggest
that I only tested the code under s3compat is quite incorrect.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.