ldap and active directory configuration

Scott Grizzard scott at scottgrizzard.com
Fri Jul 2 05:28:57 MDT 2010

Ah...I see what you are trying to do...

The problem is passwords: you need some way to store the Windows
passwords for the users; which are different than the Linux passwords.

Are you storing passwords on your eDirectory or not?  eDirectory has
Samba extensions, etc, and there is documentation on how to do it
(http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/11788.html).  If all you
need from eDirectory is whether the account is still active or not,
you can either extend eDirectory to support Samba, or you can set up
Samba with the LDAP backend as a separate server, and write a script
that queries eDirectory for account status once a day, updating your
Samba's LDAP, activating and deactivating accounts as needed.  I once
had a similar situation where my script went the other way, disabling
users from our "other systems" once they were deactivated in Samba.

Those are just some thoughts...it might help if you detailed your
current setup to the mailing list (existing directories, dependencies,
etc)...if your payroll system simply sends out LDAP queries, it might
be faster to use OpenLDAP and replace eDirectory.

----
Scott Grizzard
Scott at ScottGrizzard.net
http://www.ScottGrizzard.net/