Bugfix for tdb transactions

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sun Jan 31 18:11:56 MST 2010

Hi Volker,

That looks better, but I'm still not sure we've completely fixed
this. Your patch will fix the case where a 2nd process opens the tdb
during the commit of the first process, but I don't think it fixes the
following case:

  - process 1 and 2 are both connected to the tdb
  - process 1 starts a transaction
  - process 1 starts a commit
  - admin uses kill -9 on process 1, while transaction is partially
    written (or segv or similar)
  - process 2 starts a transaction, and uses corrupt data from process 1

The problem is that the transaction code assumes that in the case of a
crash that all processes accessing the tdb die (such as when the
machine as a whole crashes). That is not always true, especially if
you have an admin who likes to use kill -9.

Fixing this completely could be quite expensive (check for recover
flag on every IO??), but perhaps we could do the following:

  - when we start a transaction, check the recovery flag. If set then
    db needs recovery.

  - in tdb_transaction_recover() get a write lock from FREELIST_TOP to
    EOF if recovery is needed.

That will at least mean that in databases where writes are wrapped in
transactions that we don't compound the problem caused by the kill -9.

Another nasty problem is that tdb_transaction_recover() can reduce the
file size. This is fine if only one process is attached when recovery
is started, but in the above scenario there could be more than 1
process attached. That could lead those processes to get a SIGBUS when
they try to access beyond EOF via mmap. So I think we'd need to remove
the code that does the ftruncate() in tdb_transaction_recover().

Cheers, Tridge