[SAMBA4] Python 2.3 support status

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Jan 30 13:17:47 MST 2010

Samba 4 used to have support for linking against Python 2.3. It seems
like this support has been broken for quite a while now, without anybody
noticing. All of the buildfarm hosts that had python 2.3 installed
appear to have been upgraded to 2.4 by now.

At this point, I think we should either decide to drop support for
Python 2.3 - and remove the backwards compatibility code we added for
2.3 - or fix the backwards compatibility for Python 2.3.

Python 2.4 was released in 2004 and is widely available. With this in
mind and given the fact that nobody seems to have cared about the
existing brokenness of 2.3, I propose to remove support for Python 2.3
and require at least 2.4. Any objections?

Cheers,

Jelmer