Samba4 ADS BDC howto/help/status, please?

Brian Dickson Brian.Dickson at concertia.com
Tue Jan 26 14:55:22 MST 2010

Thanks for the info, and here's an update (on my usage, at least).

It took a long time to get anything to work correctly, in part because I had tried previously to make things work, and installed most of the things in an earlier version.

What perplexed me (vexed me, actually), was that even with debug set to level 10, there weren't any indications of the actual problem, although there were some vague, obscure hints.

The problem can be summed up thusly:
- doing all the build steps (autogen, ./configure, make, make install) does *not* install everything needed.
   - PLEASE consider this a BIG request to add in either installation of libnss_winbind, or a big message saying "YOU NEED TO INSTALL THIS NOW" and instructions on how to do so.
- libnss_winbind and libnss_wins (.so and friends) are needed in /lib, *AND* need to be the same version (WINBIND_INTERFACE_VERSION) as the other components (winbindd, pam_winbind, nmbd, smbd)
- the error messages were vaguely consistent with other kinds of problems (e.g. mismatches in smb.conf, krb5.conf, /etc/pam.d/*, /etc/nsswitch.conf, etc.
- diagnostics at the point where calls, callbacks, hand-offs, children, pipes, etc., are used, related to authentication and all the other PAM type things, would have really helped
- perhaps some lightweight "shim" immediately above or immediately below the pam_winbind, installed only when debugging is desired, would help?
   - the idea is to add additional contextual diagnostic (debug) messages, to help identify state, flow, interaction, return values, etc., so that it isn't necessary to run gdb in order to look for problems at the level of "knowledgeable user/sysadmin with knowledge of kerberos, pam, maybe even ldap, but not AD".

BTW - my S3 authentication against non-R2 WS2003 AD is working.

I'm more than happy to assist with more testing of the "net vampire" stuff - I would like to be able to say the efforts also produced a backup DC running on linux, to my co-workers and higher-ups.

Thanks again,

Brian