[s4/ldb] Signed/unsigned counter variables

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 10 21:36:13 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 16:51 +0100, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Back in November 2009 we had those discussions
> (http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2009-November/067711.html)
> about signed/unsigned counter variables related to LDB. Some people
> expressed their thoughts - but in the end we kept all like it has been
> before.
>
> In the meantime I stopped to work on this since there wasn't much
> interest but let those created patches in my personal "misc" branch. I
> wouldn't like to drop them (all) since they required quite some work -
> and in the end most of them should be correct. At least the shorter
> commits should be mergeable (or cherry-pickable) immediately. I would
> appreciate it if someone from the s4 developers would give it a look.

The problem is that while it may have taken you a lot of time to make
the changes, the time that is needed to review them properly is far
greater.

All changes to Samba need good review - I review much of tridge's work
for example - and just because you are sure it's harmless, or even that
it passes 'make test' does not mean that it's correct, because there are
no tests that currently exercise this boundary condition.

As such, the best place for this is put to one side, in a git branch,
until such time as a developer is willing to sign off on them.

Sorry,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.