ctdb memory usage

Sat Jan 9 02:35:58 MST 2010

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 09:40:24AM +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010 23:42:36 Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:00:18PM +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> > > Three. There's a reason people are still using very ancient versions of
> > > Samba on NAS boxes, and that's the increased memory usage of the 3.x
> > > series. Some feature like this will make the situation even worse for
> > > low-end systems. Not everybody is trying to run Samba on 32GB RAM
> > > systems.
> >
> > If you want to decrease the size of the binaries, the lowest
> > hanging fruit is to put the ndr_*.o marshalling routines
> > into shared libs. This is pretty straightforward, mainly
> > Makefile and linker magic.
>
> So far my main concern was avoiding to grow the memory size even more, but
> your suggestion sounds worth looking at once I got around my current cross-
> compilation issues in configure.

Ah, ok. In recent times, I've tried to reduce our memory
usage. Do you have any nunbers that this has grown again? It
would be a nice little project to compare, say, 2.2 and 3.0
with master for some typical workload in terms of RAM usage.
That should either give us hints how bad we suck these days
or give NAS vendors arguments to switch to latest code.

Volker