sid to uid/gid mapping, winbind

Shirish Pargaonkar shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:47:18 MST 2010

I am interested in finding out user name / group name for a given SID.

Can winbind provide that information assuming the cifs server which exports
a share is either not in the same doamin as specified in the smb.conf on the
linux SMB/CIFS client machine or is a stand alone machine, if presented with
an SID and tcp host?

Once a user name or group name for an SID is obtained, I would like
winbind to map it to a  uid or gid respectively as per smb.conf and store the
mapping in the backend specified in smb.conf.

Can the host be any kind of CIFS/SMB server (Samba, Windows etc.)?

Otherwise, I may have to do DCERPC calls over named pipes like lsa and samr
to resolve sids to user/group names.

Thanks.

Regards,

Shirish