making windows 7 to join samba 3.0.* server ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jan 5 09:17:31 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 05:07:06PM +0530, ambika awanty wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have samba 3.0.28a as PDC. I want to make windows 7 to join this
> server. I have done the search and figured out that to support windows
> 7, we need to have at least samba 3.3.4.
>
>   Currently I can’t migrate to higher versions of samba, I have to
> stick to the 3.0.28a. Has anyone done the analysis of making samba
> 3.0.28a to work with windows 7 with some code change? Is it possible?

It's possible, but the Samba Team isn't going to do it.

3.0.x was released many years before Win7, and we are
concentrating our resources on ensuring the latest
release works well. We don't have the time to do back
ports to versions this old. Vendors who ship 3.0.x might
be willing to do this for you, for a cost.

Jeremy.