tsocket: doxygen documentation

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 4 14:44:22 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 10:43 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Monday 21 December 2009 21:08:38 Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hey,
>
> > I've started to document tsocket with doxygen. It is hard to migrate to
> > tsocket if you don't know the subsystems and don't know what the functions
> >  are doing. I'm currently stuck in the kdc code so I looked at the code and
> >  documented the stuff.
>
> am I the only one who is interested in api documentation for Samba? :)

I would not be disheartened.

Many (most?) new Samba developers start with grand plans for API
documentation, system overview documents etc, but as we get more
involved in the day to day coding, these important tasks fade away into
the background of 'the work to be done'.

Your efforts are appreciated, particularly for the new APIs that are
trying to become common code.

The other problem is that because most developers just use ctags (etc)
to browse the source, and make their updates without reference to the
output of doxygen (we will usually update the function comments, but may
get the syntax wrong).  The manual prototype files are particularly
prone to errors, as the implementation is distinct from it's
documentation.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.