SAMBA on OS X Server [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 26 03:56:07 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 14:35 +0800, walter.hill at customs.gov.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeking some technical assistance and John Terpstra kindly suggested
> that I should post my problem to this list.
>
> We operate a mixture of Apple X-Serves (Intel and G5) running OS X
> (10.6.x and 10.5.y), Windows 2003 servers and XP x32 and XP x64 client
> PCs (Mac Pros and MacBook Pros) in a domain environment.
>
> The X-Serves provide Directory Services (Open Directory Master), online
> storage X-SAN and domain services using Apple's samba build
> (3.0.28a-apple).
>
> We are in the *slow* process of migrating the servers to 2008R2 (x64)
> and the clients to Win 7 (x32 and x64).
>
> The immediate issue is making the 2008R2 server a domain member (I have)
> but I've uncovered what I believe is the "trust problem" addressed by
> samba 3.4.4 - SIDs aren't resolving back to their actual names.
>
> I relied upon http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7 to make the
> 2008R2 server a domain member.
>
> Apple's website provides a link to
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/samba.html samba
> (source) which I'm attempting to compile so that I can use it on our
> X-Serves. I'm obviously missing something though and need assistance.
> Just to repeat this isn't a standalone instance of samba on OS X (I have
> found earlier references to running samba on older versions of OS X and
> on iPhones) as it must integrated with Apple's LDAP implantation which
> forms the basis of Open Directory serices.

So, in short, you want to update the Samba on OSX from 3.0 to 3.5, while
keeping it's hooks to Open Directory.

It isn't trivial porting Apple's modified Samba 3.0 release to Samba
3.5, but it should be possible - I'm sure Apple has complied with their
GPL obligations and all the tools you need are present.  It will be hard
work however, but if you do take it on, I'm sure you can post questions
here about the details.

The main task would be to adapt their passdb and auth modules to the
later Samba releases.  I don't think those interfaces have changed much,
but it won't be just a matter of recompiling.

I hope this helps,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.