PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

Uri Simchoni uri_simchoni at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 19 01:20:41 MST 2010

So far in the discussion I haven't seem any reference to cross-compilation.
That's an issue for NAS devices, and even for 32bit/64bit. I like Samba3
build system because it depends on things I know - GNU autoconf and make. I
understand that the concerns of Samba developers are different. When
discussing alternatives, this should be considered too.

I see that CMake essentially supports cross-compilation. It doesn't support
building the build tools and then cross-compiling the code, but neither does
automake. At least Cmake allows you to import pre-built build tools.

Just my 2c...
Uri.