PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Feb 18 17:40:38 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 01:23 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 17:38 -0500, simo wrote:

> > Finally we do not have anyone with experience on waf, so I am not sure
> > who could do the job of porting the current build system over there.
> I don't think the fact that we happen to have one person around who is
> familiar with CMake right now and nobody who is (yet) familiar with one
> of the other build systems is a good reason to go with CMake blindly.

Nobody said anything about blindly, let's not get emotional.
I was just stating the fact that we have a potential resource with one
system and zero with the other, at the moment, nothing more, nothing
less.

> But what I don't like, is exactly the idea that we copy it in and
> > forget. To me it looks like simply exchanging one problem for another.
> > I fear we would start forking it and turning very soon back into the
> > nightmare of having to maintain a build system ourselves. Again.
> There's no need at all to copy it in; I think all that was suggested was
> shipping a copy with Samba for convenience, like with do with e.g.
> libpopt.

I said it was a fear, not a certainty, I may be wrong of course.
This is just my point of view.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce