smbclient, cifs client, Windows7

Shirish Pargaonkar shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:13:31 MST 2010

Hi,

I could use some tips/pointers to figure out why a network login on a
Windows7 machine
fails for cifs client  but succeeds for smbclient.

ntlmv2 ntlmssp spnego with signing enabled authentication fails with error
of invalid parameter.
In the event log, I see that the user/account is different, so I am not
sure why security ID is NULL SID and I think that is the source of the
authetication failure.

The same exact cifs client (code) works fine against a Windows 2003 server.
I see a valid user and authentication (ntlmssp spnego ntlmv2 smb signing
enabled) succeeds.

In either cases, for cifs client, in the ntlmv2 response during auth
request, there are no attributes
and  domain and host name are null, smbclient has all of them filled.

And I am not sure what to make of this information/status_code

  0xC0000225 evidently a bug in Windows and not a risk

Regards,

Shirish

case of cifs clients

> Logon Type:   3
> Account For Which Logon Failed:
>  Security ID:  NULL SID
>  Account Name:  root
>  Account Domain:
> Failure Information:
>  Failure Reason:  An Error occured during Logon.
>  Sub Status:  0x0
> Process Information:
>  Caller Process ID: 0x0
>  Caller Process Name: -