PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Thu Feb 18 00:25:26 MST 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 20:39:46 simo wrote:

> == Discussion ==
>
> IMPORTANT: Please make sure to read the wiki page, before commenting. We
> tried to capture a number of concerns people may have regarding Cmake
> there and we tried to provide answers. Of course if the page does not
> address your concern we would like to hear about that so we can address
> them.

I know this is mentioned on the wiki page, but I'd like to bring this up here.
My "work" PC at home runs Ubuntu 8.04 for various reasons. I'd guess a lot of
people do, given it's the current long-term support version of Ubuntu. The
version of CMake the cmake'ified talloc requires was released May 2008. So in
Ubuntu-land, you need to be running something newer than the current LTS to
be able to build Samba, or you need to compile cmake yourself, or get it from
some non-official repository.

Are we even expecting this stuff to work on any of the older enterprise
Linuxes? You can always argue that I shouldn't run a two-year old distro on a
development box, but for a server that's a pretty moot point.

Is there any reason why we need CMake 2.6 instead of 2.4 (Ubuntu 8.04 ships
2.4.7)?

Cheers,
Kai

--