PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 17 16:22:33 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 06:05:55PM -0500, simo wrote:

> The Samba 3 angle is the one under which I made the above python
> comment. The reason why we are proposing CMake however is more about
> it's proven record and capabilities. We are willing to dedicate effort
> to something that resolves some of the main pains we had, namely lack of
> knowledge/support of the current build system.
> CMake looks like a good candidate.
>
> Changing the build system is challenging enough, from our analysis CMake
> looks like the best shot at being able to pull it out, the others looks
> more like a shot in the dark.

My 2 cents. I'm completely happy with you creating a parallel build
system based on CMake, which looks like a well supported and used
solution, so long as we retain the existing autoconf / configure
system along with it.

Once we have a parallel build system and we keep it up to date,
if it has significant advantages over our existing system then
we can decide to switch over.

One of the significant advantages to your proposed CMake system
is that you are committed to maintaining it :-). I'm happy to
learn a new build system slowly, especially as it has a book
written about it already :-).

Thanks for looking at this !

Jeremy.