PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Feb 17 15:45:31 MST 2010

Hi Andreas,

 > Is it really such a big problem? It would be possible to bootstrap it on the
 > system or install binaries.

It could be a problem, yes. We don't have a login on most of our build
systems. We are relying on the support of the people who run the
systems. They don't always respond to requests for system changes.

 > I think this would be doable. Put a binary there or bootstrap it on the
 > system.

I think we'd need to have a cmake project in the build farm.

 > According to their Dashboard they built it on all systems which are available
 > in the buildfarm except one (True64).

yes, but is a working C++ compiler even installed on all our build
farm machines?

We depend on python now, so using SCons or waf is not an additional
dependency. Using cmake is (depending either on cmake or C++).

 > It will not make sense to start if people don't consider to switch to CMake or
 > most of the developers are against it :)

I'm not against it, but I think we need to discuss it a bit more. If
Scons or waf can provide the same features while using python instead
of C++ then I'd lean towards the python based solution.

Cheers, Tridge