cost of tdb transactions on ext4 with barriers

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 02:17:51 MST 2010

FS guys have a lot to learn from SCSI.

In SCSI you have a flag, FUA, in the rpc header for each individual
i/o (WRITE10) that says
* you may just write this to cache if you think this benefits performance
or
* this i/o goes to the medium. period.   and if not, we will make you
suffer, publicly, next time we t.10 people meet up.

Kind of what you might expect that fsync() would provide on non-broken systems.

regards
ronnie sahlberg