Additional Domain and Directory Replication

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 10 04:21:57 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 16:41 +0530, Rohit Rajan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today i have configured 2 servers  Samba("4.0.0alpha12-GIT-580f955")
> first i tried to configure the replication and it didn't work with the
> normal configure script, later on i decided to do a configure.developer
> and then configured the Directory replication, as off now no errors, and
> everything is going fine except the Group policies do not replicatea and
> the shares i have created in smb.conf.

It's very odd that 'configure.developer' makes it work.  We need to look
into this.

> both the above mentioned changes i have made after the domains are
> vampired successfully
>
> Means i have configured samba domain, vmapired them, checked the
> replication and then i went and created the new GPO on a new OU, i can
> see lots of activity going in the logs, once i started making changes to
> the GPO or created, but in the end the directory "Policies" is not
> replicated to the 2nd domain.

Correct.  Samba4 does not address the issue of filesystem replication
for the netlogon share.  This can be done manually with rsync for now,
until we implement the required protocolss.

> Also if i click on the check box of Global Catalog of the 2nd DC, from
> the "Active Directory Sites and Services" would it become GC, because by
> default its not check for the 2nd DC

It may well - at startup, we check the directory to see if we should
listen on the GC port.  We serve the same content on both ports (it's a
kludge...)

> Also if someone can through a light on DNS configuration for the
> additional domain controller. so that the winxp machines on then network
> can find it in the absence of the 1st DC would be great

See scripting/devel for some scripts to assist with this, until we get
more of the DNS stuff working and automated.

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>