Note on printing for the 3.5.0 release notes.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Feb 9 09:45:31 MST 2010

Hi Karolin & all,

Here is a release note for 3.5.0 concerning the 64-bit
Windows printing problem. Guenther, please review for
accuraccy.

I will write up a note on the ACL module changes in
3.5.0 later this week.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Printing with 64-bit Windows clients
------------------------------------

Currently printer support for Windows 64-bit clients
does not work reliably in 3.4.x or 3.5.x. The reason
for this is the change from hand-marshalled RPC code
in the SPOOLSS printing pipe to auto-generated RPC
code.

Normally auto-generated RPC code is safer and more
reliable which is why we changed over to the new
code. Unfortunately the client RPC code in the
Windows SPOOLSS printer subsystem seems to be
generated differently from the other RPC subsystem
code in Windows that Samba supports, thus giving rise
to the incompatibility.

We are working on fixing this issue, and will add
the necessary fix into a future patch release of
3.5.x. Currently, for reliable printing from 64-bit
Windows clients we recommend using Samba version 3.3.10.

Please accept our apologies for the problem, which
we are working to resolve as soon as possible.