s3:nmbd and browse list fixes

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Feb 8 19:53:10 MST 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:47:48AM +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I found that it's impossible to "socket address" if you want to use
> nmbd. (I need the socket address usage in order to run samba4wins and
> nmbd on the same box).
>
> I changed nmbd to listen explicit on each subnets broadcast address,
> in the same way samba4 and samba4wins work. This way you can set
> socket address to a unicast address and still receive broadcast messages.
>
> For now I've created a "nmbd:bind explicit broadcast = yes" Option,
> but I'll change it to a real documented option before I push it to
> master.

Thanks for this (and you've pushed it). I reviewed
the code and it looks great !

I make this option the default, as it is definately
needed and I can't see any drawbacks to making nmbd
work this way out of the box - in fact it's fixed
several existing bugs that were logged w.r.t. nmbd
and setting "socket address".

> I've also implemented NetServerEnum3 (which is needed to get a browse
> list with a few thousand entries)

Thanks. I think these changes should probably be
targetted for 3.5.1 (the first 3.5 patch release)
as it's a little late for 3.5.0 - don't want to
destabilize the code at this late stage :-).

Jeremy.