Development of Samba

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Feb 8 19:50:12 MST 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 04:07:48PM +0000, Karol Pysniak wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to develop SAMBA project as my contribution to Google
> Summer of Code. I have been using SAMBA for a few years now and, hence,
> I have a few ideas how to develop SAMBA. I am a computing student which
> will definitely help me make my ideas come true :) What should I do to
> join the project?
>
> Some of my ideas involve, for instance, creating advanced Graphical User
> Interface for SAMBA. It could be as easy as to let any non-experienced
> user to start using SAMBA, but the Interface would involve all options
> which could be used by advanced users.
>
> I can program in Java/C/C++/Haskell/Assembler (IA-32).

The Samba GUI is an interesting idea, but it's actually
quite a hard task to achieve. I'm planning to update the
Samba Summer of Code Wiki for Samba3 this week, so if you
can hang on a little while there should be lots of easier
ideas for you to look at.

Most Samba coding is done is plain C, although for GUI
work Java might be easier.

Jeremy.