Patches which remove Python 2.3 compatibility code

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Feb 8 13:54:23 MST 2010

Hi Matthias,

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 09:21 +0100, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> this is a patch proposal. I think it's not really correct yet - but feel
> free to point out my mistakes.
> Also regarding the test command with the "<" operator I'm not really
> sure: is it enough that it only exists in the internal bash ("test")
> implementation? What could be done to have this portable?
Using test is fine, it's portable (it's already used in other places in
our configure script as well).

Please don't remove the 'python' executable name from the list of python
executables we search for. There is not reason why newer versions of
python would not have that executable name. Similar for python-config.

PYTHON_VER is an environment variable that can be set by the user to
indicate what python version they want samba to use. Checking it makes
sense, but it doesn't ensure that if they do not specify a version and
we find one by ourselves that that version is newer than 2.3.

Instead, I think we should just look for the Python interpreter like we
do at the moment but make sure that whatever we find eventually is at
least Python 2.4. One way you could do this is by checking the exit code
of the following command:

$PYTHON -c 'import sys; sys.exit(sys.version_info[:2] >= (2,4))

So if you wanted to use this in an autoconf script, you could try
something like this (not tested):

if python -c 'import sys; sys.exit(sys.version_info[:2] >= (2,9))'
then
	AC_MSG_ERROR([Python ($PYTHON) is too old. At least version 2.4 is
required])
fi

Cheers,

Jelmer