Conflicting FDS instance name

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 8 13:35:26 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 15:23 -0500, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently Samba provisioning tool always uses the same name
> "samba4" for any FDS instance it creates during provisioning.
> However, the FDS instance name should actually be unique on
> a single machine because FDS creates a registry file using
> the instance name in a central location:
>
>     /etc/sysconfig/dirsrv-<instance name>
>
> The file contains the path to the instance directory which is
> necessary to start the instance correctly.
>
> So if you create multiple Samba servers on the same machine,
> the registry file for the old instance will be overwritten.
> When this happens the old instance cannot be restarted anymore.
>
> This is actually happening in the current Samba 4 test because
> it creates 2 Samba servers (dc and member), but so far it doesn't
> cause any problem because the test never attempts to restart slapd.
>
> Attached is a patch to fix the problem. It contains the following
> changes:
>
> 1. The provisioning tool now accepts an optional parameter
>    --ldap-instance for specifying the slapd instance name.
>    The default value is "samba4".
>
> 2. The test script now uses instance names "dc" and "member"
>    to distinguish the slapd instances.

I would rather that they just used the netbios name.  This is also meant
to be unique, and avoids yet another parameter being passed down.

But regardless of that, it makes me worry - is it not possible to setup
Fedora DS without it modifying /etc/sysconfig?  In environments like
'make test', I really, really want never to run a root, and never to
touch a central system configuration file.

That is, all evidence of a 'make test' must go away after rm -rf st.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.