Claimed Zero Day exploit in Samba.

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sat Feb 6 13:58:28 MST 2010

Michael Gilbert wrote:

>>> Unfortunately it is not possible to have your cake and eat it too. If
>>> you want unix extensions and you do not want to severely limit what can
>>> be done with it, then you must allow to create any symbolic link.
>>>
>> like i said before and concurred by Jeremy, the ideal (but potentially
>> very complex) solution is to detect when remote users attempt to jump to
>> a target outside of their authorized shares and prevent that.
>>

> i've got a sinking feeling that symlinks are not be the only way to
> achieve this goal.  i guess we'll see whether we get a new disclosure
> on that sometime soon.
>
> mike

Hard links created by people with shell accounts will
1) appear to be inside the user's share
2) refer to something that is elsewhere

$ ln /etc/passwd
$  ls -l ./passwd
-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 1759 2009-11-13 10:16 ./passwd
$ head -2 ./passwd
root:!!:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin
$

In general, the impedance mismatch here is both considerable and
hard to fix, as the concept of "outside your share"  means "somewhere
else" in the Unix world: it isn't a concept that exists outside of a jail...

--dave

(416) 223-8968