s3-rpc_server: Only support static build.

Tue Dec 21 09:14:20 MST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 02:32:21PM +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> this is the short time solution. In the long term wie should only use modules.

If we can agree on this aspect, then I'm with you.

In the past I have already put quite some thought into the
whole RPC server infrastructure. One wall I have hit is the
fundamental assumption of DCERPC that RPC serves are active
entities that register themselves with the epmapper and
provide services. This has the obvious problem that the
epmapper is not actively notified when the daemon crashes,
but this could be fixed I think.

This problem manifests itself in the S3 routine
is_known_pipename: We have to reply to the ntcreate&x
\\pipe\samr differently than to \\pipe\foobar. I have played
with an epmapper that walks a subdirectory with .so's,
briefly loading them and looking what services they provide.
That worked for me, but it would nail us to this particular
solution. An alternative that I briefly touched was a real
epmapper that depended on a tng (DCERPC?) style model of
daemons registering themselves.

How does Samba4 intend to handle this issue?

To me this is an important architectural question that I
don't have a definitive answer to yet.

Volker