Samba4 success!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 15:29:16 MST 2010

On 19 December 2010 19:22, Benjamin Donnachie <benjamin at py-soft.co.uk> wrote:
> I am pleased to report that I have samba v4.0.0alpha13 working
> successfully with RHEL v6-beta Linux 2.6.32-19.el6.x86_64 and bind
> v9.8.0a1.

An interesting day!  I migrated my VMware system to XenServer for
deployment on our network.  The virtual Win7 Ultimate and Enterprise,
Win2008 and XP clients also on the XenServer box worked fine.

Win7 Ultimate machine had a very bizarre problem - nslookup resolved
hostnames correctly, but regular lookups failed (eg using ping) and
hence unable to join the domain.  This is probably indicative of
further problems and reinstalling the tcpip stack did not help.

2 x Win7 Ultimate machine claimed to be able to resolve active
directory dc but unable to contact it.

Win7 Ultimate joined fine.

Win7 Professional claimed able to resolve but unable to contact.  OS
restored and problem persisted.

Vista joined fine.

At this point, I had to move on to other projects.  I'll update with
further developments as soon as I have time.

Take care,

Ben