Windows 7 selecting wrong DC from replicated Samba4 setup

tms3 at tms3.com tms3 at tms3.com
Wed Dec 15 15:50:23 MST 2010

On Wednesday 15/12/2010 at 1:57 pm, Andrew Bartlett  wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 10:46 +0100, Axel Gembe wrote:
>>
>> I have a Samba4 setup where I replicate the domain in 2 sites, each
>> having their own subnet. This works fine except that my Windows
>> computer
>> seems to select the wrong DC (non-local) until I bring it down. If it
>> is
>> down, it uses the local DC and all is well, but otherwise I have quite
>> some delay. It should prefer the DC that is in the local subnet
>> according to this document:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247811
>>
>> I've tried everything I could think of and don't get it to use the
>> correct DC. Any help ?

Just a thought, but my experience is showing the calls following a
pretty standard round robbin in DNS.  Run a master DNS and slave off
the appropriate DNS entries for the subnet, then use dhcp to assign
the appropriate slave DNS, with the master DNS as the second.  I
suspect that will solve that issue.  WINS is another matter if you're
using it...