Windows XP Profile-Samba 3

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 15 13:04:23 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 16:13 +0530, hemanth kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> We are setting up a samba PDC with rhcl 5.I made some restrictions in  XP
> box using GPEDIT like restricting the access to control panel,desktop
> properties, registry and etc.

BTW, POLEDIT / ntconfig.POL is much easier and more reliable then trying
to do too much with the default profile.

>  then i copied the DEFAULT USER folder frm
> that XP box to netlogon share of samba server.(thought it would act as
> baseprofile for all users and this profile policy will be copied to all new
> users).But what ever the policy i have set is only active in that XP box
> only ,if a user logs on from any other system its not taking the policy frm
> the base profile.Am i following the right way? or how can we setup the
> profile for xp users

I've done this in the past and it worked (more or less, the concept
itself has some problems; regardless of Samba or Microsoft).  Perhaps
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168475> can help.