symbol versioning of private libraries builds

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 12 17:53:33 MST 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 19:42 -0500, simo wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 11:21 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> > Note that the current behaviour is the equivalent of what we had
> > before we had symbol versioning (ie. symbols in private libraries are
> > the same as symbols in public libraries), and we know that it has
> > worked well. I don't want to make a change where we use separate
> > symbol naming spaces without thinking about this very carefully.
>
> Actually it hasn't.
>
> We have bugs open where heimdal symbols conflicts with the system
> library symbols for example (openchange linked by evolution that also
> links to the system kerberos library).

Simo,

You are correct, it's not exactly the same behaviour as we had before,
because we fixed exactly this bug.

It came up because it also hit the BIND 9 plugin work that Tridge has
been very busy working on for the past two weeks.  (The problem cropping
up in bind made the problem much easier to reproduce, as was a blocker
to that development).

> And talloc symbols statically linked in the libwbclient library also
> conflicting with the system talloc.

I don't see how this has changed by the new library version code.

All that said, it seems to me that the current behaviour, ideal or not,
is aside from the resolved MIT/Heimdal conflict equivalent to what we
did before, and it won't hurt us to allow Tridge the head-space do deal
with the BIND9 patches (which are under a time restriction for the next
release of BIND) before coming back to this.

I'm also not entirely convinced that the unchanged aspects of the
current behaviour is correct, but I am convinced that it isn't urgent to
change it again, while we bed it down a bit more and properly discuss
it.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.