cm_prepare_connection() & SMBSERVER Netbios query

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Dec 12 11:34:55 MST 2010

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:10:23PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>> They used that name in NT4, W2K, WXP, W2003...  and then abandoned it.
>> Windows server 2008 doesn't support that name any more, and I have no idea
>> why not.  It's a small bit of insanity on Microsoft's part.
>
> Where is that documented?

WBN #2 in [MS-NBTE] is the only thing I've seen.  I was not aware of the
change until I hit a similar problem to the one Dina is reporting at the
SNIA SDC.  I asked the Microsoft engineers about it and they went digging to
find out why it didn't work any more.  All they could find out was that the
*SMBSERVER name was not supported past W2K3.

>> So, what you need to do is send an NBT NODE STATUS REQUEST to the server,
>> get the list of names that *are* registered, figure out which of them is the
>> SMB Server Service, and send your request message to that name instead.
>
> NBT NODE STATUS REQUEST, that's UDP? Or can we do that over
> the 139 TCP connection?

That's part of the name service, so it's UDP.

This is the old way of looking up the SMB Server Service name:
* Send the NODE STATUS REQUEST to the target node using the IP
  and querying for the wildcard name ('*' + 15 nul bytes).

* Read through the NODE_NAME_ARRAY in the response looking for only
  unique names that have a suffix byte of 0x20.

* If you get more than one, perform any heuristics you like to
  guess which is the most likely name.

* Try that as the CALLED NAME in the NBT Session Request message
  over port 139.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org