s4-param: +foo syntax

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 8 03:46:52 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 11:14 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Tridge,
>
> >  > Wouldn't it be clearer to use 'server services += openchange'?
> >
> > we discussed that, but were concerned about moving away from standard
> > .ini file syntax in case other parsers/editors are used.
> >
> >  > '+' might be a valid character in the list items.
> >
> > note that we created two types of lists, P_LIST and P_CMDLIST. P_LIST
> > is only used for things where + and - makes sense.
> >
> > The ones where + and - might be used (eg. shell commands) use
> > P_CMDLIST, which doesn't have this syntax change.
>
> In 'valid users' you can specify '+grouname', but valid users should be
> a P_LIST.

I guess we will need to add another list type/exception if we decide to
continue to support the + syntax for groups in valid users (which does
not exist in the source4 code at the moment anyway).

That said, I think this parameter is terribly overloaded, and given that
all the examples I've ever seen are for @group, and that NIS for which
the difference mattered is effectively dead, I think we should simply
decline to support + and & for 4.0, if we can't come up with a better
replacement for the whole 'valid users' thing.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.